Camping at the Y offers an Experience for children and teens, not just care.
Exploring nature, swimming, playing games and making new friends are just some aspects of the experience of participating in Day Camp. As summer approaches, the Fairfield Y reminds parents that camping is a unique and invaluable experience for children and teens.
At Day Camp through the Y, campers will try things they have never tried before, build a relationship with our caring staff or a new friend, and of course, HAVE LOTS OF FUN! We don’t just sit in front of a TV all day, we enjoy nature, play games, learn songs, develop new skills, and we experience camp!
According to our friends at the Y, there are five reasons why kids should experience summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of fun adventures and new experiences, and especially exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While being away from the routine back home, youth have a chance to learn new skills and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges.
- NEW FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, field trips, arts & crafts and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories and stories that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of stories to share!
The Fairfield Y provides exciting and educational camp programming for children and teens, and their parents, at our Traditional Day Camp.
To ensure that every child and teen has the chance to go to camp, the Fairfield Y offers financial assistance to those in need. We believe that no one should be turned away because of their inability to pay. Come, let us help!
Fairfield Y Summer Camps:
Sunshine Club: Summer fun for 2 year olds – A gentle introduction to camp for the first time camper. Children will participate in circle time, simple arts and crafts, outdoor play and music. Choose 2, 3, 4, or 5 days a week to fit your schedule. Each session is two weeks long. See our Brochure and Handbook for more information. Online registration is available.
Discovery: for 3 to 5 year olds – Safe, supervised fun with a caring and responsible staff. Each session, campers swim three times a week, have art instruction, creative play, make friends and have lots of fun! Each themed session has a special visitor for interactive entertainment and a special day celebrating the theme. Children will be grouped according to age.
Camp Badakookala: Traditional home town camp for children ages 5-13 – Camp Badakookala is designed to offer a combination of active, quiet and creative options that take the individual campers’ interests, talents and age into consideration. The Camp’s watchwords are “Safe” and “Fun” and more “Fun.” Mature, experienced staff is extensively trained to meet each child’s needs. Groups are small (max 1:12 ratio) to help promote personalized attention and friendship building. Campers are grouped according to age and activities are appropriate for each age group. Adventurers (entering grades 5th-8th) also have a service project for the summer. New this year we are also offering a middle school camp called “ Life’s A Beach!” Each day a different activity at a different Fairfield public beach.
For those too “big” for camp (entering grapes 9th-11th), we offer our Counselor-in-Training program.
- Swimming twice a week at the Fairfield Y pool
- Once a week field trip
- Sports like soccer, softball, Capture the Flag, Whiz Ball and Dodgeball
- Special Events like National Popsicle Day every Friday, Talent Show, end of the summer cook out, Summer Halloween
- Arts and Crafts – what’s summer without gimp? And paint and clay and more.
- Gardening service project – Food raised is donated to Operation Hope.
Camp Location: Jennings Elementary School, 31 Palm Dr., Fairfield, CT
If you have any questions, ask our camp guru!