In Bridgeport, the YMCA has provided adult programming since 1884 and youth services since 1929. We offer the greater Bridgeport community access to affordable child care, youth and teen programs, summer camp, health and fitness, and community building programming. Learn more about the Bridgeport YMCA and how you can become a member.
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 5:30am-9:00pm
Child Watch Hours:
Monday – Thursday: 6:00pm–8:30pm
Address & Phone:
850 Park Avenue
Where Everyone Comes To Play
Our Winter 1 Session runs January 2 – February 23
Registration for Facility Members starts on December 2; for Community Members on December 9.
Browse our Winter 1 Program Guide for all the details!
Life Skills Save Lives
Become a certified Lifeguard
If you’re 15 or older and looking for a great part time job or a challenging career, that’s in demand, the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Program is one of the best places to start. Lifeguarding lets you work as part of a team to help people safely enjoy the water. You could even save a life!
Learning is fun and easy! Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn—
- Rescue skills for use in the water and on land.
- First aid and professional rescuer CPR/AED training to help you prepare for an emergency.
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities.
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries.
- Swim a minimum of 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. (May swim using front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggle may be used)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Swim 20 yards, feet-first surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a10 pound object
- Return to surface swim 20 yards hold object with both hands keeping face at or near pool surface
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface, and swim 5 yards to the side of the pool
ENROLL TODAY! Pool Lifeguarding
Dates and Times: December 19- 23. Thurs 4:00-9:00pm, Fri 4:00-9:00 pm, Sat 8:00am- 4:00pm, Sunday 8:00am-4:00pm, Monday 11am-4:00pm
Fees: Member: $250 / Community Member: $350 CPR pocket mask and participant manual included
Let’s Dance the Salsa and Smile
Work out to Latin Music!
Improve your flexibility, strength, endurance and sense of well-being while you have fun!
The program, for all fitness levels, combines fast and slow rhythms that tone and sculpt your body as you dance.
When: Tuesday and Friday, 6:30-7:30PM
See Member Services for the details!
It’s Time to Party!
Join us for Zumba® Fitness – When participants see a Zumba class in action, they can’t wait to give it a try. Zumba classes feature exotic rhythms set to high-energy Latin and international beats. Before participants know it, they’re getting fit and their energy levels are soaring! There’s no other fitness class like a Zumba Fitness-Party. It’s easy to do, effective and totally exhilarating, often building a deep-rooted community among returning students.
When: Mondays & Wednesdays 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Where: Right here at the Bridgeport Y
Fees: Free with Membership
Through our youth sports programs young people have the opportunity to be in a safe environment, gaining social maturation and leadership abilities, while engaging in fun recreational activities. From wrestling to our basketball league, youth are encouraged to learn and lead healthy lifestyles, commit to goals and team settings and approach challenges optimistically.
Healthways SilverSneakers® Fitness Program is the nation’s leading exercise program designed exclusively for older adults and is available to eligible Medicare health plan and group retiree members. Eligible members have a complimentary community membership to the Bridgeport YMCA. To find out if you are eligible, please speak to one of our Member Service Associates at the Welcome Desk or visit www.silversneakers.com.