Hydrated Kids are Healthy Kids
Date: June 22, 2018
Offer water at every snack and meal time. It is a great drink choice for kids because it is calorie-free and low cost from your nearest tap! Kids should drink plenty of water when they are playing and being active.
- Water is the best thirst quencher.
- Drink water often when you play.
- Drink water instead of juice or soda at every meal.
Here are some tips to keep your kids happy, healthy and hydrated:
- Drink water often. Serve water at every snack and meal time. When your kids are physically active, make sure they have a bottle of water to drink from during their activity. Our bodies are the best judge of how much water we need. Teach your kids to drink whenever they are thirsty.
- Do not serve drinks with sugar! This includes sodas, sports drinks, sweetened iced teas, fruit drinks, and energy drinks. Drinking too many sugar-sweetened drinks increases the risk for overweight in kids and adults and can also cause dental cavities.
- Ask questions. Make sure that afterschool programs or day-camps serve water at all meals and snack times, and that they allow for water breaks throughout the day.
- Drink lots of water yourself throughout the day! Setting an example now can help your kids learn how to stay healthy and hydrated as they get older.
- Water – As much as you want! For extra flavor and fun, add fruit or frozen 100% fruit juice ice cubes
- Sodium-free seltzer water
- Juice “spritzers” – Mix a splash of 100% juice with sodium-free seltzer water
- Drinks with added sugars:
- Sweetened iced teas
- Fruit punches and fruit-ades
- Sports drinks
- Energy drinks
- Fruit drinks
- Drinks with sugar substitutes:
- Diet sodas
- Diet iced teas
- Diet fruit drinks
- Water is the best drink to keep kids hydrated.
- Water is the best choice for kids when they are being active and playing sports.
- Serve water at every snack and meal. Make sure that water is available all day for your child