LIFE SKILLS, SAVE LIVES 15 and older
Become a certified Lifeguard
If you’re 15 or older and looking for a great part time job or a challenging career, that’s in demand, the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Program is one of the best places to start. Lifeguarding lets you work as part of a team to help people safely enjoy the water. You could even save a life!
Learning is fun and easy! Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn—
- Rescue skills for use in the water and on land.
- First aid and professional rescuer CPR/AED training to help you prepare for an emergency.
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities.
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries.
- Swim a minimum of 550 yards continuously in a prone position demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. (Swimming on the back is not allowed, swim goggles can be worn.)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Swim 20 yards, feet-first surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a10 pound object
- Return to surface swim 20 yards hold object with both hands keeping face at or near pool surface
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface, and swim 5 yards to the side of the pool
ENROLL TODAY! Waterfront Lifeguarding
Dates and Times: July 31 – August 4 Monday – Friday 9:00am-5:00pm
Fees: Member: $275 / Community Member: $375 CPR pocket mask and participant manual included
Location: Lakewood-Trumbull YMCA Outdoor Center