CCC Y Summer Camps Help Youth Experience Their Best Summer Ever
Date: March 3, 2017
Do you remember your best summer ever? Did you stay all day with your friends at the local pool? Did you head to the local park and play basketball? Or was your best summer the summer you discovered your favorite literary heroes and followed their adventures from the comfort of your own backyard? For most, your best summer ever was probably a combination of all of these—some exploration, activity and education.
Summer is the ideal time to get children out and exploring but for some, the end of the school year means no access to recreational and educational activities which help them learn, grow and thrive. Studies show that children can experience learning loss and even gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. For parents and caregivers looking to keep their children’s minds and bodies active, the Central Connecticut Coast YMCA is offering numerous summer camps to give youth an adventurous, active and healthy summer.
YMCA camp programs provide a fun and unique experience that gives children and teens the opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
“Summer camp provides a variety of opportunities to ensure that youth are learning and being physically active in the summer,” says David Stevenson, President and CEO of the Central Connecticut Coast YMCA. “Campers learn how to be responsible and resourceful, work in groups, solve problems and make decisions that will help them grow as individuals—all while having fun and feeling like they belong. We want every camper to start school telling their friends that they had the best summer ever.”
There are so many reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp! Here are five:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit the Camp pages of our web site for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth are encouraged to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 130 years. The Central Connecticut Coast YMCA continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.
Registration for the upcoming camp season has started. We encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp. And, to ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, we offer financial assistance to those in need. Additionally, if you’d like to help send kids to camp, you can donate to the Central Connecticut Coast YMCA at http://www.cccymca.org/make-a-difference/give/.