Pool Usage Guidelines
Our lifeguards are on the pool deck to ensure your safety and have the authority to restrict any behavior deemed unsafe. Y members and guests must follow all safety guidelines or may be asked to leave the pool area.
- State Health Codes require all persons to shower with warm water and soap before entering pool.
- Wear appropriate swimming attire in the water at all times. T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs and street clothing are considered not appropriate.
- A parent/guardian, at least 18 years of age, must accompany any child five and under in the water at all times. Parents/guardians of children under age eight who have passed the swim test must remain on the pool deck. All swimmers age 8 or older who have passed the swim test may use the pool on their own.
- Any non-swimmer must have an adult in the water within arm’s reach.
- Children who are not potty trained should wear two layers of accident protection, a waterproof swim diaper and a bathing suit, at all times while swimming or playing. For privacy and sanitary reasons, please refrain from changing children on the pool deck.
- If you have a communicable or infectious disease or an open sore, please do not enter the pool area.
- For everyone’s safety, the pool will be closed during lightning and thunderstorms and will not reopen until thirty minutes after the last occurrence of either.
- Walk, do not run, to avoid injury.
- Pushing, dunking and rough play are not permitted.
- For your safety, diving is only permitted in water at least nine feet in depth. Do not perform back-flips, back-dives, twists or any other type of flip that may cause injury to yourself or others.
- Extended breath holding activities may cause blackouts and are strictly prohibited.
- United States Coast Guard approved Personal Flotation Devices can be used in the shallow end of the pool. They should be properly sized and in good condition. Persons wearing the device must have an adult in the water within arm’s reach while in the pool.
- YMCA equipment is for Y programs only. Starting and diving blocks are not for public use. Inflatable pool toys and flotation devices are not permitted.
- Glass containers, food, and gum are not allowed on the pool deck.
- Please do not sit, play, hang or lie on the lane lines.
- To swim in the deep end, all swimmers must complete the swim test including an unassisted, 25-yard non-stop swim and a 30 second tread which will be recorded in our log. The lifeguard may administer a swim test at any time.
- Stop, look and listen when you hear the lifeguard’s whistle blow.
- Have fun, be safe and keep your language and behavior family friendly.